Accepted URL formats on Enterprise Cloud Portal
Puffin Enterprise Cloud Portal supports four types of URL formats, namely, the wildcard notation * that includes all websites, domain names, hostnames, and page URLs.
Allow or block all websites
The rule ALLOW * is enabled by default. The asterisk * encompasses all websites.
Similarly, using an asterisk in a blocking rule BLOCK * blocks all websites. Refer to Approach 2: Block access to all websites and add rules to allow certain websites for how a universal blocking rule can be added.
- Note: Be careful when using an asterisk as it would affect all browsing activities throughout your organization.
Allow or block a whole domain
To include all web pages under a domain in a rule, place the wildcard notation (asterisk) * at the beginning of a domain and followed by a dot (.). E.g.:
*.example.com covers login.example.com, www.example.com/example, and so on.
It is not possible to use an asterisk to wildcard a different part of the domain. The following examples will not work:
Allow or block a hostname
Allow or block specific page URLs
Web filtering also supports allowing or blocking full URLs. You can allow or block certain parts of a website based specifically on the full URL. The full URL in a rule will be treated as a prefix, and all subordinate pages underneath would be covered by the rule.
URL normalization for web filtering
Puffin Web filtering conforms to several URL normalization standards. There are certain guidelines to be followed to ensure that the URLs you enter would actually be allowed or blocked. The URL normalization criteria are listed as follows.
URL Type Guidelines
|Protocol Schema (both HTTP and HTTPS protocols are included; other protocols are not supported)||http://www.example.com or https://www.example.com|
|Username : Password (should be stripped)||user:email@example.com → example.com|
|Ports (should be stripped)||example.com:8080/abc → example.com/abc|
|Trailing slashes (disregarded if entered)||example.com/abc/ → example.com/abc|
|Character case (normalized to all lower case)||EXAMPLE.cOm/abC → example.com/abc|
|Page anchors (the hash sign #, automatically stripped)||example.com/#info → example.com|
Web filtering only supports plainly defined rules. Using regular expressions is not supported.
Quick verification of web filtering rules
Puffin Enterprise Cloud Portal provides a tool for you to quickly verify if the websites you want to allow or block are covered by the rules you have defined.
- Scroll down to Test an URL against composed filtering rules.
- In the field next to URL to test, enter the URL you want to check.
- Click Test.
- If the URL can be accessed, the result would be ALLOW. If the URL is blocked, the result would be BLOCK.
If you encounter any URLs which web filtering cannot allow or be blocked, please contact our customer service for further assistance.
Please notice that Puffin Cloud Portal is only available for Business and Enterprise subscribers.
The topic belongs to
- Getting Started with Enterprise Cloud Portal
- Information on Enterprise Cloud Portal Dashboard
- Using Web Filtering function in Enterprise Cloud Portal to block websites
- Bulk Operations on Enterprise Cloud Portal
- Using Security Policy in Enterprise Cloud Portal to block specific behavior on particular websites
- Using User Allow list to restrict access privilege to specific Emails
- Using IP Access Lists in Enterprise Cloud Portal to restrict access privilege to specific IP addresses
- Using Registered Users in Enterprise Cloud Portal to manage Emails used to activate Puffin products
- Using Active Devices to check list of activated devices
- Using Configurations in Enterprise Cloud Portal to configure advance settings
- Check usage reports in Enterprise Cloud Portal